This is an especially heart-healthy recipe because it contains omega 3 fatty acids in two forms: the fish oil from salmon and the plant-based omega 3 found in walnuts. In a recent clinical trial comparing the two types of omega-3s, researchers found that plant-derived omega-3 offers different heart-health benefits than the marine-derived omega-3, so for optimal heart health, you need to include both sources in your diet. This is also a very customizable recipe. Here, I’m giving it to you dinner sized for 2 people, roughly 2 and a half medium cakes each; or you can save some for lunch the next day. If you want a smaller meal for one person, just use 1 can of the salmon and halve the other ingredients.
2 cans boneless/skinless wild salmon (6 oz cans with liquid)
2 tsp dill
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp honey
1/2 small to medium yellow onion – chopped fine
1/3 red bell pepper – chopped fine
1/3 cup walnuts – finely crushed
1. Mix Together the mustard, honey and eggs, then set aside
1. Mash salmon with a fork and add the walnuts, dill, paprika, red pepper flakes.
2. Mix in onion and red pepper into the salmon.
3. Add mustard/honey and egg mixture into the salmon.
4. Add approximately 1/3-1/2 cup of a combo of Italian flavored bread crumbs/plain breadcrumbs
5. Mixture should be firm and medium wet – just enough to form into patties without breaking apart.
Form into patties and fry on each side in olive oil until golden brown and hot.
Serve with a good Tartar Sauce on the side or a dab of mayonnaise.